Saturday, July 23, 2011

Chocolate Chip Whoopsie Pies with Marshmallow Feeling



   I fell in love.


   It was like being on a cloud- but of course I've never been on one before. If you could eat melted clouds like you eat melted chocolate, it would taste like this marshmallow filling that I made using Jac's recipe (more about the filling and my feelings later). Jac has a wonderful blog called Tinned Tomatoes, and I have for a long time wandered from recipe to recipe, waiting for the right moment to try one. 


   Lo and behold I came upon a recipe for chocolate chip whoopie pies, which I'd never tasted let alone made. They looked like little flat cakes with filling, which they are. I was quite excited about trying them, but was rather dubious because I didn't have buttermilk (and have yet to meet a real live version in a supermarket) and because I didn't have a whoopie pie tin. However, Jac said they'd turn out fine without the tins, and since they included chocolate chips, for which I have recently discovered a love for, I decided I'd (try and) make them anyway.


   By the way, nope, there was no typo on the title. You really did read "Chocolate Chip Whoopsie Pies" because that's what they are. And that was really "Marshmallow Feeling" because I put a lot of feeling into making them. And licking them. Yeah.


********************************************************

   I am also (nervous, nervous, nervous!!!! because I am) entering this for Bookmarked Recipes which is hosted Jac. The deadline is 30th July and since this recipe if from Jac's blog, I think it passes for a vegetarian one! I have never, ever entered a food event before, and I'm not sure I'll qualify, but I'll try anyway and hope people won't mind if it's a bit sloppy!


   Read more about the event here.


********************************************************
Chocolate Chip Whoopsie Pies with Marshmallow Feeling
taken and adapted from Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes
[click HERE for original Whoopie Pies recipe]
[click HERE for original Marshmallow filling recipe]


(i) Whoopsie Pies

Ingredients
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
125g margarine or butter
1/3 cup castor sugar
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup milk + 1/1 tsp apple vinegar)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Method


1. Preheat oven to 180C (170 for mine).


2. Grease tin or line baking sheet with baking paper.

3. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Add salt.

4. Beat butter, castor sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy.

5. Add egg and beat until well mixed.

6. Add buttermilk and vanilla, and mix until smooth.




7. Fold in flour mixture, mixing just until well incorporated.

8. Fold in chocolate chips.

9. Scoop dessert spoonfuls into prepared tin.

10. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and dome-shaped.

11. Cool and jam two pies together with marshmallow feeling.


(ii) Marshmallow Feeling (filling)

Ingredients
2 egg whites
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup

Method

1. Put all ingredients in a heatproof bowl and whisk for about ten minutes over a simmering pot of water.
Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water (I wonder why).
The mixture will be a sort of golden-yellowish and thickens as you whisk it.

2. Remove bowl from the heat and whisk using an electric mixer until it becomes really thick, and has stiff peaks like a meringue.

3. Put all forms of shyness and embarrassment aside and embrace your new feelings. Love it, lick it. It's delicious.
Oh. And don't forget to save some for jamming the whoopsies together. They want some marshmallow love too.


I hope this is what the filling's supposed to look like:

I love this! I'd like to use it on everything!

********************************************************
Teacher's Notes


   1. I may not have a whoopie tin, but I have two tart tins! It didn't work as well as a real whoopie tin, I guess, but they did help in forming the shape of the base of the pies- although of course some never made it even with all that help and turned out wonky and misshapen! 

   2. When I had put all the ingredients for the marshmallow feeling into the bowl, I took my giant hand whisk and whisked the ingredients together before putting them on the heat. Disaster struck. Three HUGE drops of water fell into the bowl. I had not properly dried the handle. I was dumbstruck. I was afraid the egg whites wouldn't froth up like meringues. They worked out fine though. It was lovely seeing the mixture turn all thick and gooey and marshmallow-y. The colour was so pretty too, opaque white- pure and clean. Lesson: Trust in yourself and don't waste egg whites when you think it won't work out! 

   Oh, and even though I cut down the amount of ingredients from the original recipe, I still had plenty of filling left over. I don't normally hold much for licking fillings, but who can deny marshmallow feelings

   3. When the recipe says to use a dessert spoon 'scoop desert spoonfuls' of the batter into the tin, then it means 'dessert spoonfuls'. Don't doubt the recipe and dump a Giant's dessert spoonful' of batter into the tin, because you'll get whoppie pies big enough for a Giant (well, not really but they were a bit thick for jamming together). 

   Which is why I made whoopsie pies instead of whoopie pies. But they taste great, so who cares?



My wonky whoopsie pies


The tart tin I used as a substitute for the whoopie pie pan.
Not sure it worked out too well, but it was okay.


I noticed this cheeky little fella...


So I gave 'im eyes to complete the look!
He's happy and so am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They give me a lot of encouragement to do more baking (though of course I'd still bake even without comments). Please leave a link if you visit my page so that I can return the visit. Thank you!