Friday, August 5, 2011

Congo Bars

   [I typed this entry last week, but forgot to post it.]


   Dad remarked a few days ago that he thought I'd broken the record for the number of recipes attempted in one day.


   Of course that's not true, as I know there are thousands of other people who have done a lot more, but as far as my own record goes, I have to say I'd broken it too. After making Tate's Chocolate Chips, a second batch of Butterbeer blondies and that second batch of not-really-good-but-still-edible butterscotch blondies (all of which I'd fail in getting any photos), I gave myself a break and stopped baking for a bit (the truth was I'd run out of some ingredients, hehe).


   Anyway, today I went to get a pair of shoes in preparation for my driving lessons, and I took the chance to use what little money I had to stock up on chocolate & butterscotch chips and brown sugar. I also got a bottle of chocolate emulco and one bottle of coffee emulco. Oh, and one pack of high protein flour for bread making. I cannot wait.


   To get back into the mood, I made a batch of congo bars after seeing them on Kak Rima's blog. Kak Rima's blog is gorgeous, with lovely pictures of professional baked stuff which leaves anybody looking at them drooling without realising it, not to mention her super cute daughter Sonia. 


   Congo bars are actually blondies, I suppose, since the ingredients are more or less the same as what the blondie recipes that I've used called for. It seems that all I'm baking at the mo' are blondies and brownies... oh well, maybe I'll turn out an expert at them? Haha. I'm planning to make some egg tarts tomorrow  (I didn't get to take photos of the last batch I made, and anyway they weren't 100% successful although the tupperware container was empty by next morning) so hopefully that'll be a change. 


   Anyway, the Congo bars are still cooling on the counter but being the impatient person that I am, I've already cut them into squares and even packed a few slices to take to the workshop tomorrow. It'll be a 5-hour ordeal I'm afraid, so some sweets would definitely help! I'm glad I finally get to start though, it seems like I'm about the only person who has't got her license yet! (The bright side is I might be the first among my sibling to get one, haha!)


Packed for tomorrow

   Congo bars, you are good! Though I've yet to find a rival for my much beloved Butterbeer recipe. They are still my favourite so far!


***************************************************************
Congo Bars
taken and adapted  from Bisous a'  Toui, the Kitchen Guardian and Bakerella


Ingredients
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter (I still only have money to spend on good margarine, sobsob)
300 g brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
1 cup chocolate chips (or more if you like)


Method
1. Sift flour and baking powder into one bowl. Add salt.

2. Beat butter around in one bowl until it has softened a bit, and add in brown sugar. Mix until all the sugar has been incorporated into the butter.

3. Add the eggs, one by one, and mix until well incorporated.

4. Add in vanilla essence and chocolate chips. Stir just until combined.

5. Fold in flour and stir until just until combined.

6. Pour into an 9 x 13 inch pan and bake in a preheated oven at 170C (16o for mine).

7. Cool for 15 minutes before cutting into bars.

8. Take pictures or whatever it is that you usually do after you've finished baking.

9. Stare at the pile of bowls, measuring cups and what-not that's sitting in your sink. Well, maybe not, if you were wise and washed them as soon as you've finished using one item. Like I did (smug).

Note: Feel free to ignore number 8 and 9. These bars are GOOD. I meant to have them a little fudgy but they were more cakey, which is still good anyway. It's quite an easy recipe, so even I managed not to get anything wrong. 

***************************************************************

   I suppose by the time I come home from the workshop, the bars will all be gone. If I look at things in a positive light, it means a chance to bake more stuff! 

   Mum's sure the bill will be 'electrifying' when it comes. Oh well. At least our tummies are full!

Definitely delicious!

***************************************************************
Verdict:


This recipe is a keeper! I'll definitely make these again!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They give me a lot of encouragement to do more baking (though of course I'd still bake even without comments). Please leave a link if you visit my page so that I can return the visit. Thank you!